One thing we all love to enjoy in winters is warm and delicious food. Be it a snack or a whole meal, every bite of our favourite food feels soothing and comforting. In winters, we all fall in love with food again. It is the time of the year when parents have a big job at hand – satiating their children’s taste buds without compromising on their health.
But don’t worry! You don’t have to travel a great length to accomplish that task. Because we have brought five easiest and most delicious winter dishes that you can try at home and fill your children’s tummy in a happy and healthy way. All these food ideas are full of nutrition and require very less time to prepare. Also, there are so many variants of recipes available. Which gives you the freedom to pick the one that you find most suiting – time, taste and ingredient-wise. So get out of your blankets and put your cooking caps on, because winters are going to be yummier!
- Baked sweet potatoes: Potatoes are a great source of fibre. Seeing them fresh and warm out of the oven is nothing less than a delight to the eyes. Not to mention the mouth-watering taste they bring along. A great alternate to French fries, they are packed with the much needed Vitamin A and potassium. Involve your children in the cooking process if possible. Just ask them to peel the potatoes or cut them into slices or cubes, whichever way they like to eat. Toss them around with canola or olive oil as they come with added health benefits. Which will make it one of the most perfect and healthy winter dishes for the whole family.
- Cauliflower fritters: Cauliflower isn’t just delicious, it also comes with high phytochemical content and potential to help prevent cancer and inflammation. Rich in Vitamin A, C and K, it also contains potassium, magnesium and manganese which are important for growth and development, along with digestion. Cauliflower fritters is just what your children won’t be able to resist, even if they don’t like cauliflowers. Again, fry them in the oil which provides maximum health benefits. From olive to canola to rice bran, choose the one that suits your needs the best.
- Chicken and noodles soup: There’s no kid in the world who does not like chicken and noodles soup. The best part about it is the freedom to slip in some veggies, like chopped carrots, beans, celery, green onions or peas. Trust us, your children would not mind slurping down those veggies in its soothing broth. If you like, you can stir fry the noodles before adding in it the soup or just go with what the recipe suggests. It’s a comfort food like no other and takes only 30 minutes to prepare. Season it with some basil and oregano and your magical winter delight is ready to roll.
- Macaroni and cheese: One of the easiest and finest meals to cook, especially when you are on the clock! The cheese in it makes every kid go ‘say cheese’ and they can never get enough of it. And preparing it is like a child’s play. All you need is macaroni, cheese, butter, flour and milk. Use regular milk, preferably whole, to prepare the cheesy cream as it is richer and more flavourful. The choice of cheese is yours! Make sure to stir it regularly so it does not burn or thickens too much. Sprinkle some salt and pepper and your bowl of health is ready.
- Winter squash: Children, during winters, due to lower immunity, fall ill quite often. That’s where winter squash comes very handy. Rich in Vitamin A and carotenoids, it is known to benefit heart health and immunity. A good source of dietary fibre, it helps to keep blood sugar levels stable. Need more reasons to eat it? Here’s one – it’s naturally sweet. Which kid does not like sweet?! Toast it and serve with maple syrup. Or add it to your children’s pasta sauce. Any which way it’s going to be good and delicious.
Feeding your children, the right amount of health and taste is what concerns parents the most. With these winter dishes, you can put that worry to rest. Great food is what every child craves for and good health is what every parent wants to ensure. The five meals described above offer the perfect blend of taste and health and promise to keep every family member happy. So try them out and make the most of winter while it lasts.